Re: more RAM, swap?

Benjamin Fritzsche, 2002-Sep-20 22:27 +0200:
> On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 15:11, Luis Castillo wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > my laptop runs debian woody,kernel 2418,128 MbRAM,256Mb swap and I would
> > like to upgrade to 256 MbRAM, so I should resize a swap to 512 Mb or not ?
> > If so, how I resize a swap without reinstall debian?
>
> IMO if you increase your RAM without a severe change in the way you use
> the system but only to make things a bit faster you would probably
> better reduce the size of swap and use the diskspace for something
> better!
>
> My laptop runs on 192 MB RAM and only 35 MB Swap so that it can get rid
> of of some things hardly used and fre that memory.
>
> my desktop has 512 MB RAM and 300 MB Swap whixh is far too much as i´ve
> never seen the system use more than 100 MB of the swapspace.

I 2nd that.  My laptop has 256MB and I reduced the swap to 128MB from
256MB since I never saw it get used.

My Desktop has 256MB with 512MB swap which I'll be reducing soon to
128MB or less since I never see it use more that 50-60MB.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User