Re: pcmcia network adapter periodic failure

On 18 Sep, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> Problem No. 1: I'm using a 3Com 575 PCMCIA 10/100 ethernet adapter.
> depending on load, eventually the ethernet interface "goes away".  The
> link light is still up but I cannot pass any traffic.  when I force the
> error, I noticed that the interface has multiple overrun and frame
> errors.  The error rates seem to be in the single digit range usually
> but the interface locks up all the same.  If I eject and then reinsert
> the card, it works for a while and then stops.

I got this problem with this card when the card/laptop got too hot. It's
a problem with the card not working properly when overheated.

> go on.  I want them to go off at the right time.

Good Luck! :)  I've got a custom laptop based on a Chembook something
model and the cooling fans don't shut off either.  I think it's a design
thing with the laptops.

> come up standard console mode and blank video when it's not being used.

/sbin/update-rc.d -f xdm remove should do the trick by taking xdm out of
the startup sequence.

--
Douglas G. Phillips
ITS/User Services