XFree86 on a Prostar 8894

Hello,

I've got a dual boot setup working except for X11.

I keep running dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and try
a variety of configurations, but nothing seems to start X working.

I've run 	'lspci'
and even looked in 	/proc/pci

and both agree that the ATI M6 chips is located in

	Bus 1, Device 0, function 0

So during the dpkg-reconfigure efforts I try leaving it blank
(for the location of the video card) and entering in
"PCI:01:00:0"

and it still does not work.

I've tried backing off of the resolution, as the vendor claims
the 15.7" LCD on their Prostar 8894" will output 1280x1024, but,
even this does not work at 1024x768

The consistent complaint I see after the Xserver crashes is
"(WW) ATI: PCI/AGP Mach64 in slot 1:0:0 could not be detected!"

and suggestions including direct editing of the
/etc/X11/XFConfig-4 file is most welcome.

Should I upgrade to XFree86 version 4.2?

Any ideas? Anyone got X running on  a Prostar 8894?

James