Sound-probs with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600

Hi there,

I'm a newbie to Linux and Debian, because I'm a little fed up to Microsuck.
I' ve installed Debian Woody on my machine. The identyfied sound chip is an
Intel 82802 wich seems to be the same as the yamaha ac97. I've installed sndconfig yet, but it doesn't work propperly. Soundcore.o is not found at its regular place. This may due to an installation error (kernel is not set up for sound?). However is there anybody out there who can tell me what to do to get it running?