Re: Debian on a Dell 4150?

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 06:33:56PM -0700, Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:
>> All is okay, except for that one *critical* change of /etc/fstab!
>> In order:
>> umount (if you want, not required)
>> /sbin/tune2fs -j /dev/hdaWhatever#YourPartitionIs
>> remount (if you umounted it)
>> vi /etc/fstab
>> 	change type from ext2 to ext3
>> 	save changes
>> boot the box, crash the box, boot and enjoy fast recovery :)
>
> Thanks it work now -- just a question: how much hardware ext3
> requires (is it possible, that it is slower than ext2 on my AMD
> K6/160MB RAM/TOSHIBA MK6014MAP ATA DISK drive)?

It doesn't require hardware any different from ext2, as such, though
it's fractionally larger and may have slightly higher overheads in some
rare situations.

It is, however, slower than ext2 in many situations, especially if data
journaling is used.

This is caused by the increased integrity of the journaling requiring
more disk access or different disk patterns.

In practice this should be close to invisible.

   Daniel

--
Electric icon culture in twenty frames a second.
Bright confusion controling my emotions.