Re: Debian on a Dell 4150?

also sprach Spiros Kapetanakis <spiros@cs.york.ac.uk> [2002.09.05.2030 +0200]:
> 1. How do I resize the other operating system's partition (it's the XP
> variety) without having to reinstall? The only reason why I need to do
> this instead of just wiping out completely is so because I don't really
> want to fiddle with the other OS, I wouldn't know where to start. When I
> get everything working under Linux, I'm going to wipe the other OS anyway.

you can't resize. don't you have another computer around that you can
use to communicate with us? if yes, then wipe XP (ugh!) and install
linux cleanly. we'll get you up on your feet, don't worry!

> 2. When the installation asks me to make a boot floppy, I _KNOW_ that
> I should do it. But, the DVD will be in the drive at the time so I
> won't have a floppy.  How do I go round this problem?

don't make one. you don't have to make one. the DVD can boot and
provides all the functionality and more.

> 3. I typically have different partitions for /, /boot, /usr,
> /usr/local, /home, /tmp and /var. Should I do this with my laptop or
> should I stick with one big partition and a swap partition? Is it
> advisable to have multiple partitions on a laptop?

that's your call. i have a laptop and exactly those partitions.

and when you write "typically" how do you think you'll have problems
getting around with debian and no XP?

> 4. Is there anyone out there that has installed Debian on an Inspiron
> 4150? What did you do about this hibernate partition that I hear
> people talking about?

i have installed many debian laptops. here's what to do:

  - on an empty hdd, create the s2d partition (mks2d -f)
  - boot the dvd and use cfdisk (or the "Partition a harddisk" menu
    item) to see the partition table. note exactly how many Mb the s2d
    partition (type 83, hidden OS/2) takes up.
  - delete it
  - partition. i usually do:

     hda1 -> /boot
     hda2 -> swap
     hda3 -> s2d
     hda5 -> /
     hda6 -> /usr
     hda7 -> /usr/local
     hda8 -> /home
     hda9 -> /var
     hda10 -> /tmp

   create the s2d partition with exactly the same size as the one you
   created with dell's mks2d. forget about the type. once your other
   partitions exist, then simply delete the s2d partition again,
   reboot, and run mks2d.exe -f to create the partition in the space
   you left free.

windoze 3.1 - the best $89 solitaire game you can buy.