Re: Installing Xfree on a Satellite 2100CDS

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 08:16:17PM +0200, Charles de Miramon wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to install Debian Sid (Xfree 4.2) on a Toshiba Satellite 2100CDS
> wit a S3/Virge video chipset.
> I've had some pixel corruption problem that I managed to resolve by adding an
> "noaccel" option to the Xfree configuration file but I stil have a small
> glitch.
> When I start X, the panel is horizontally divided in two and either the upper
> part or the lower part is darker than the other one. You can see the same
> problem when you start Windows but it is less visible.
> Is there something I can do ?
> Did also someone managed to get video hardware acceleration without pixel
> corruption ?

The s3virge driver does not completely work, at least not with my Toshiba
490CDT.  My workaround is to use the unaccelerated vesa driver instead.  If
you think you need to, you could try writing to Kevin Brosius, the s3virge
author, to fix the problems further.  His homepage is at
http://www.user1.netcarrier.com/~kbrosius/pages/virge.html

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://people.debian.org/~dparsons/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A