Re: defragmenting winXP "home addition" before partitioning

Jaye Inabnit ke6sls, 2002-Aug-26 22:27 -0700:

> Hello:
>
> I now have the Gateway Solo laptop.  I wanted to keep windoz on it,
> but this XP stuff is past my working knowlege of windoz.  defrag leaves a lot
> of stuff all over the hard drive.  I don't really have any options as far as
> the docs go to move all data to the top of the drive, or do I?
>
> The file system is NTFS.  The hard drive is 10GB.  Third round of defrag!
>
> So what do other Linux installers do when they face this dread?

If you resize the partition using "parted" or "Partition Magic", the
process will relocate any data not on the new partition to space
available on the partition.  Make sure the new partition is big enough
to hold the data.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer