Install on X22 without floppy and cdrom

Hi all,

Does someboby have the experience of installing Linux on Ibm Thinkpad
X22? My machine is Windows 2000 preinstalled, which can't be booted in
Linux from pure Dos mode.  I didn't buy Ultra base because I have
network at home. I probably only use it for installing. I just bought an
IDE 2.5" to 3.5" adapter and tried to put the hard disk of the X22 into
my desktop computer. After installed Linux and put it back to the
laptop, I found out I can't boot, it prompted "disk I/O error". So it
failed. Somebody has any idea?

Thanks
River