Re: Installing Woody on Gateway Solo 2 1200

On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 09:07, Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I didn't receive a response to my original post, so I am going to proceed
> with a Woody install on this laptop ala trail_blazer.  My primary concern is
> sane installation without destroying the vile native OS (winxp) that is
> already installed, coupled with mutual coexistence post install.
>
> I searched for specific Debian laptop-howtos to no avail.  I have never
> undertaken a laptop install, so this will mark my induction to the laptop
> Linux community.
>
> If anyone has links of good contemporary laptop info, it would be most
> welcome.

For general information on Linux laptop installations, try
http://www.linux-laptop.net/. Note that you usually have to adapt a
little for Debian specifics, but you can often determine what will work
and what won't from other guides.

Also, having installed a large number of laptops, I have two pieces of
advice:
        * Make backups of your current installation before you begin.
          Make sure the backup makes an image of your hard drive and not
          just a few files here and there. (For example, the 'dd'
          utility in Linux, or Norton Ghost in windows.) It's a little
          effort compared to reinstalling everything from scratch. When
          you have a working system, back up.
        * Take notes. Have a few sheets of paper and a pencil ready when
          you begin. Jot down as much as possible. After the install is
          ready, go through those notes and enter them into your
          computer and put them up on your web page. They'll come handy
          later.

Good luck!

Fabian