Re: vga16fb console settings

Russell Coker, 2002-Aug-16 01:14 +0200:

> > I've been playing around with this script, and I don't understand how
> > this effects each of the tty screens.  I've tried using "fbset -fb
> > /dev/..." to see if/how that works, but I don't have a /dev/vc/
> > directory and if I use /dev/fb0-6 I get "No such device", and if I use
> > /dev/tty0-6 I get "Invalid argument"
>
> Those are devfs device names.  Use /dev/tty[1-9]* instead for non-devfs.

Ah, okay.  So, I make a script, made it executable and put it in
/etc/rc.boot:

<bof>
#!/bin/sh
for n in /dev/tty[1-6]* ; do
  echo "" > $n
done
fbset -g 800 600 800 600 4
<eof>

I set "vga=normal" in /etc/lilo.conf, since anything done here gets
blown away once the vga16fb loads, at which point the screen goes to
the 640x480 box inside the 800x600 display.

This script worked in setting only tty1 to the 800x600 display.  The
other tty's didn't change.  Also, I now get a pretty red stripe along
the bottem edge of this new display.  I tried using fbset to move the
display down, but it's not working.

Keep in mind, this is not VESA, it's the VGA16 framebuffer.

I'm still trying things and googling.  Any help will be very much
appreciated.  I'm also starting to consider looking into whether
svgatextmode would be a better solution.

thanks,
jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer