Re: Linux on Toshiba Satellite 210 CS

Zbigniew Perski said:

I would like to use my old Toshiba Satellite 210 CS with Linux +Xwindows. It is a
weak machine (P120, 1.3HDD, 16MB RAM) and standard edition RH 6.1 running so
slowly that it is impossible to use it for work.
I would like to ask in following questions:
1. Which distribution is the most suitable for this resources?
2. Is it even possible to run X on 16MB RAM or better forget it?
3. Is it possible to install and then use Office package like OpenOffice on my
Toshiba?
4. Is it possible to run a wine on this computer?

I have a Toshiba Satellite 430 CDT with the P-120 and
1.2 G HD with 48MB RAM. I tried X for a while, but
using Gnome or KDE kept the cpu constantly pegged.
StarOffice 5.2 also ran very slowly. I ran Windowmaker
for a while, but still apps ran very slowly,
but it was tolerable, with the exception of StarOffice.
 I am now using it console only with Woody.
I would have to say imho that 16MB RAM will
make it very difficult for you to run X.
Just my $.02 worth.

--
kometboy  kometboy@columbus.rr.com (Debian GNU/Linux)

	  http://home.columbus.rr.com/kometboy