Re: problem with debian and xdm

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 08:50:49PM -0500, Recall X wrote:
> I just recently installed debian 3.0 on my dell inspiron 8100.  And I am
> having a few problems.  One, was the fact that i am using a radeon m7, but
> i got xfree86 4.2.0 and that seemed to work.  Well here are the questions i
> guess.
>
> How do i get out of booting into xdm logon manager?

 	apt-get remove xdm kdm gdm wdm

 (since I'm not sure which one you have that oughta cover it)

 If you still have a Task installed that claims it depends on it,
 remove the Task.  Task packages don't remove the sub-packages when they
 go, they just remove the insistence that they all be carried together.

 I'm not a big fan of forcing GUI logins.  If the GUI blows out or is
 even mildly unhappy I prefer to still be able to get at my system, and
 the graphical environment eats more energy anyway.

> I installed KDE 2.0 with apt-get, and now want to use another manager, how
> do i switch?  I cannot find a .Xclients, .Xinirc file or anything where i
> can designate the default desktop.

 Actually it'd be .xinitrc  (lowercase)

 If you want to affect the default for the whole system AND you have
 another window manager installed, then:

 	update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

 should allow you to select a different one.

> And when I su from my user account I cannot run programs.  I get this
> message:
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> emacs: Cannot connect to X server :0.0.
> Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use '-d'.
> Also use the 'xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit connections
> from your machine.

 If you're able to login on a text console, then:

	startx

 should result in a running copy of X which is auth'd to that user
 account.  If it bails out, tell us what the complaint says about it.

 As for su, I normally do that out of an xterm already running in X,
 often using -fg and -bg parameters to color it oddly so I know that
 it's an oddball session.  It's so embarassing when you accidentally
 issue drastic commands to the wrong system :/

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...