Re: debian and hp-notebook?!

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Leif Hanack wrote:

> what are your experience with debian and an hp-notebook and there hardware?!
>
> little or much trouble getting debian to run?!

I recently purchased an Omnibook 4150 via an on-line vendor. My primary
use of the machine is setting up a portable Linux audio demonstration
system based on Debian and ALSA. I installed a stable Debian package
with a 2.2.19 kernel and set up the kernel sound modules (OSS/Free) with
no troubles. I then upgraded the kernel to 2.4.18 and tried the
commercial OSS/Linux package. After some confusion about the default
identified chipset (the NM2200 had to be replaced by the NM256 driver)
that package worked fine too. Then I decided to install ALSA 0.9.0rc2
which also worked fine, again after some problems with identifying the
driver (nm256 should be replaced by the cs4232 driver). I'm currently
using ALSA CVS sources, they work fine too.

The audio hardware on the 4150 is passable consumer-grade, but it
doesn't sound too bad run out to a decent sound system. I have CD and
PCM audio, and an OPL3 chip for that refreshing FM synth cheese we all
know and love. The built-in mic input works, but it's definitely
consumer-grade; ditto for the built-in speakers. Sorry, I don't have a
DVD drive to test.

Installing Debian was simple enough. The machine arrived with no OS
installed, which was nice, and the Debian installation itself went
smoothly. Unfortunately I didn't realize that the stable distro was not
what I really wanted, and I've built my system from the bottom up. But
so far I like Debian on the 4150...

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

	The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org