Monitoring disk access

Hello !

I am trying to spot the application which are regularly using the disk,
waking it up from sleep and eating unnecessary my battery. Is there
some program which could log (on a tmpfs of course ! ;-) ) any disk
access with timestamp, file (well if it doesn't work at filesystem
level, that doesn't hurt) and PID of the application for every disk
access ?

Moreover, the Battery Powered Linux HOWTO is quite old, is there some
other documents about all this. For example, how to instruct Linux to
keep the data in cache longer ?
--
BOFH excuse #150:
Arcserve crashed the server again.