Getting sound working on Thinkpad

Dear All

I'm installing Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 on an IBM Thinkpad A31p, all is
going smoothly apart from a couple of areas.  One is sound.  Audio and
dsp facilities are going to be important to me as I'll be working with
speech recognition software.  Looking at the linux-laptop pages and at
linuxcare there doesn't seem to be a problem with sound on the A31p, so
it must be something I'm doing ...

1.  I don't actually know if it's working or not, as I don't know how to
play an audio CD on it (I don't have X yet).  I realise that sounds
pretty dumb.  What console-based audio CD players are available on
Debian Woody?

2.  The spec for the A31p says it has a "Sound Blaster Pro 16 compatible
sound system".  However, trying to install the kernel module sb (for
Sound Blaster compatible sound systems) failed with 'No such device'.  I
successfully installed various other audio-related modules with likely
sounding names. W2K tells me the audio device is a SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio. I can't see anything that looks relevant to that in the kernel module list. (a) Any leads on what's in this
machine? (b) what kernel modules to select to be fully equipped?

Any leads wrt either of the above would be much appreciated.

I've benefitted greatly from the information other Thinkpad users have
posted on the web and, once I've got X working, I'll make my experiences
available in a useful format on the linux-laptop aite or any other
appropriate location.

Best wishes

Ivan Uemlianin