Re: Kernel sizes

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 03:55:07PM +0200, Ivar Alm wrote:
> At 22:38 2002-07-21, Nyk Tarr wrote:
> >On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 05:56:35PM +0200, Ivar Alm wrote:
> >> Hi.
> >>
> >> Tride to compile kernel 2.4.16. Seemed to work fine, used xconfig,
> >selected
> >> all modules I needed, mostly unselected unessecary ones.
> >> Compiled to bzImage without problems. I copied the image to /boot/,
> >created
> >> a symlink from /vmlinuz to my image.
> >> When I run lilo afterwards, it gives me an error:
> >> Kernel - Fatal: vmlinuz too large
> >>
> >> Why this? What to do?
> >
> >You probably copied vmlinux across. This is an uncompressed file and not
> >what you were looking for. Try copying arch/i386/boot/bzImage to
> >/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.16 or similar. You also need to copy System.map to
> >/boot/System.map-2.4.16
> >
> >make-kpkg (apt-get install kernel-package) is an easier way to get
> >kernels installed in the Debian way.
>
> When i ran 'make bzlilo', it installed a much smaller file in my root dir
> together with the map file. I copied all to /boot/ and created a symlink -
> voila! lilo accepted it.
>
> But...
> make-kpkg? Never looked at it. Are there any howtos describing it in more
> detail? I managed to boot my compiled kernel, but lacked several important
> modules that could start my pcmcia etc. How do I find out what modules are
> important? Seems to be a bit akward to write down all modules I think my
> current kernel loads, and then mark them at the next compile. Could
> make-kpkg help in this?

/usr/share/kernel-package/README should have everything you need.
If you don't have it already, you need to dselect or apt-get
kernel-package. This is the package that provides make-kpkg. This
also makes deleting redundant kernels and their respective
lib/modules/* directories much easier. make-kpkg also makes compiling
and installing additional sets of modules (like the old pcmcia-cs
modules or alsa-modules) much easier.

The .config file in the root of the directory created when you de-tarred
the kernel contains the settings you last used to compile the kernel
(linux/.config). Of course this file may be hidden by the leading '.'.
It may also be in /root/config-*, it certainly will be if you use
make-kpkg ^_^.

--
/__
\_|\/