Re: how to load a module for vfat fs support?

Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> writes:

> [...]
>
> Gale> In /lib/modules/2.4.10/build/vfat I see three files.
>
> Gale> vfatfs_syms.c
> Gale> Makefile
> Gale> namei.c
>
> Those should not be there.  You should not have a build directory under
> /lib/modules/2.4.10, and /lib/modules should not contain any source
> code.  How did you build your kernel and modules?

I've noticed that kernel-package puts "build" symlink in the debs it
makes.  This symlink points to the source directory you used to roll
your own kernel.  If that directory is still there, you'll be seeing
the behaviour mentioned.

You can get rid of the symlink by lying and making make-kpkg believe
you are building an official kernel.  The way to do that is create a
debian directory (if not already there) and touch a file by the name
of "official" in that directory.

  $ cd $KERNEL_SOURCE_DIR
  $ test -d debian && mkdir debian
  $ touch debian/official

HTH,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, CID
LPIC-2               -- I hack, therefore I am --                 BOFH