Re: Using PS/2 and ImPS/2 in X

This one time, at band camp, Jeff said:
> Oh Ye Debian Guru's!
>
> I have a Dell Latitude CPx with the combo touchpad and stylus
> (eraser-head) mouse.  These input devices share the PS/2 interface
> along with the PS/2 connector on the back of the laptop.  Also, this
> touchpad/stylus is a regular 2-button mouse.  I have the BIOS set so
> that if I have a mouse connected, the touchpad/stylus don't work.
>
> No to my problem: I want to be able to plug in a 3-button mouse with
> the scroll wheel, however X is configured for a 2-button mouse with
> 3-button emulation.  So, I change the X config to use the 3-button
> mouse and scroll wheel, but when I disconnect that mouse and the
> touchpad/stylus come alive it doesn't work since I have the ImPS/2
> driver running on that device (/dev/mouse (psaux)).
>
> My current work-around is to swap out the X config file based on the
> mouse I want to use.  But this is kind of a pain.  Is there a way to
> plug either a 2-button, 3-button w/ scrollwheel, or none (use the
> built-in touchpad/stylus) and just have it work?
>
> Woody
> Kernel 2.4.18 (custom)
> XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1
> XFCE window manager
> XDM

I've never done it, as my laptop has a 3 button mouse built in, but I've
seen other people's config files posted here and there that have several
devices listed for input - something like <makes up rough guide>:
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "Protocol" "MouseMan"
    Option      "Device" "/dev/ttyS1"
    Option      "Emulate Three Buttons" "True"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "Protocol" "IMPS2"
    Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
EndSection

Good luck and happy googling,
Steve

--
Help me, I'm a prisoner in a Fortune cookie file!