Re: runlevel 3 for a console login?

    "Gale" == Gale Stafford <gstafford@bitwiser.com> writes:

    Gale> I assume this is the runlevel for a command-line login in
    Gale> debian, as that is a standard across other distros. But my
    Gale> system keep booting into a GUI.

Debian starts the GUI login, if one is installed, in all multi user
run levels. What you need to do is go to /etc/rc3.d/ and move the
Snnxxx link to Knnxxx where nn is a numeral, and xxx is the name of
your installed login manager.

For example, if your GUI login is gdm, move S99gdm to K99gdm. You may
want to reduce 99 to a lower value if you want gdm to be shut down
earlier when you switch to runlevel 3 from some other level that has
gdm running.