D-Link DFE-680TXD CardBus Network Card on a Sony VIAO PCG-F450 -- boot problem

Hi folks.

I'm running Debian Woody on a PCG-F450 Sony VAIO laptop, using kernel 2.4.18.
I've successfully migrated from the pcmcia-cs based system used in the stock
2.2 kernel to the hotplug based system used in 2.4... well, almost.

The D-Link network card in question is a tulip, and when hotplugged it works
great.  That is, if the computer is running and I stick it in, everything
is properly configured.  No problems there.

However, when I boot the system and happen to have the card already in the
slot, eth0 doesn't come up.  I'm forced to disconnect it and reconnect it.
It seems to me that /etc/init.d/hotplug ought to be dealing with this --
manually invoking /sbin/hotplug net doesn't seem to do anything at all.

From the various pieces of documentation, I think this is refered to as
"the coldplugging problem" or variously "... issue" but not being a master
of kernel-fu I'm not totally sure if this qualifies as such.

Obviously, this isn't the biggest deal in the world -- I can just eject the
card and put it back in -- but it is an affront to my desire for order in
our entropic universe and it will remain so, bothering me like an
unscratchable itch until I (or one of you) am able to fix it.  Any help
is thus greatly appreciated.

Thanks are offered in advance with more thanks expos facto to anyone who
responds...

Alexander Poquet