Re: cd writing

steve thompson wrote:

I am trying to get cd writing working on a Fujitsu
Lifebook P-2040, which has an internal removal
cd-rw/dvdrom.
First, does anyone recommend any particular cd burning
software?

I installed xcdroast, but have not been able to set it
up so far.  If I try as user, it says I must set it up
as root.  But as root I get the following message:

# xcdroast
Xlib: Invalid XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 key (failed key
comparison)
Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0

Can you run other X applications as root. Try something simple like "xeyes" or "xlogo". It this doesn't work then it is an authentication problem. My guess that you logged on as an ordinary user (as you should) and then used "su" to gain superuser access from a shell. If you type "xhost +" or "xhost localhost" in any user shell, this should give you the access you need. It tells the X server that any one from the localhost can connect to it. Note that "xhost +" is a much greater security risk as any user from any host can connect. There are probably more secure ways of doing this but I don't know what they are.

Can anyone explain what the problem and solution are
here?

See above.

Would another front end program be easier to set up or
use?

This is not your current problem.  Get X working first from root user.

Also, much of the time I use the laptop without the
cdrw/dvdrom inserted, to have it light (2.8 lbs) to
carry.  What would be the best way to manage the
modules for this intermittent use?

Use "modprobe" to load the modules when you want.

Thanks for any suggestions.

My pleasure.  Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Brendan Simon.