Re: installing Woody on an older laptop

Well, Looks Like I have bigger problems now... I tried installing Woody and it fails when trying to load the packages I selected. I picked only the X system and laptop options on a second try... no good... guess I will have to go back to potato, huh? Why do people rave on about Linux when it is soooo cryptic to install?? The programmers would go a lot further if they made it more so the average Joe could have it autodetect their hardware... (Mandrake??) or at least pick ONE way to do a task and stick with it... It tends to confuse unlerned people really fast when you talk about "X"??? HUH? LOL! And again we are back to promt commands that I always seem to mistype when I invoke them. Sorry.... I guess you get that a lot from the windows crowd... But I am willing to learn!! Let me go back and try potato again...... :P

Have you tried to configure your X with the xf86config? At the root
prompt just type that and follow the configuration steps.
Otherwise just have a look to the configuration file to see what is
there (/etc/X11/XF86Config-4).

What is the first error you get, anyway?

Ionel

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com