Re: preferred way of installing usb

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 01:29:51PM +0100, Boris Duerner wrote:
> Hi,
> What is the preferred way of setting up usb in Debian? I suppose you have to
> install the usbmgr, and then specify the host adapter in
> /etc/usbmgr/usbmgr.conf like this(if you have an uhci one):
>
> host usb-uhci
>
> and let the manager do the rest. Is that correct?

 It works for me, give it a try. The other deb you could use is hotplug,
but I don't use it, so I can't comment on it.

> How do I get the information to add a deviceline such as this?:
>
> # Perfection 636U , 636Photo [Epson]
> vendor 0x04b8 product 0x0101 module scanner
>
> How can I find out which vendor id and product id my device has?

 tail -f /var/log/syslog
and plug the device in. You should see some lines from the usbmgr.
Or use usbview.

Greetings
 KH

--
// In a world without walls and fences who needs Windows and Gates ? //