Re: static vs. DHCP - and wireless vs. wired

From: "Bill Moseley" <moseley@hank.org>

> Anyone have tips for setting up a laptop for static vs. DHCP?
>
> I've always run static IPs on my home lan.  But I'll be using DHCP at
> hotels and conferences.  I don't have a DHCP server to test with, so I'm
> looking for example configs.
>
> I assume the best way is to use LILO and append= to set a flag for
> static/DHCP, and then select static or DHCP at boot, but I'm not sure then
> what needs to be done, or if there is a specific Debian config.

Not really.  guessnet, laptop-net, intuitively, whereami, and no doubt
numerous other packages, usedynamic methods to detect which network you're
on.  As long as there's one other machine on your network that it can find
by MAC address they will choose the configuration for you.  If you know one
machine on your home net then you can default anything else to assume DHCP.