Re: Multiple users (perhaps OT)

On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 18:23, Simon Wong wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 05:11, Hubert Chan wrote:
> > I don't know if it's feasible for you (in terms of memory requirements,
> > etc), but you might want to launch two X servers, one on vt7, and one on
> > vt8.  Then, if you're working on something, and your girlfriend wants to
> > use the computer, she can switch to vt8 and log in as herself.  This
> > way, she gets to keep all her preferences, etc.
>
> I tried setting this up on my laptop with GDM (Gnome1).
>
> The problem is most of the time when someone logs out e.g. on vt8 my
> session on vt7 dies too :-(
>
> I have setup GDM to NOT restart X servers.
>
> Is there something else I may be missing as I'd like to set this up too
> so my Wife can start using Linux too :-)

I gave up on getting GDM to play nice with multiple logins a while back.
I just wrote a script to start X on the next available display. If your
wife needs to log in, she goes to vt1 - 6, logs in, and then runs the
script. (I call mine gnomelogin.) Works fine for me and my two
roommates, and they're both essentially computer illiterate. Here's a
copy of the script.

-- gnomelogin start --

#!/bin/sh

displaycounter=0

while lockfile -0 -r 0 -! /tmp/.X$displaycounter-lock 2>/dev/null; do
    ((displaycounter++))
done

startx -- :$displaycounter

rm -f /tmp/.X$displaycounter-lock