E-Tech 56K6 PCMCIA modem

Hello, everybody

I have some troubles configuring my PCMCIA modem. Here are all the
characteristics, I got from the seller:
------------------------
E-Tech 56K6 PCMCIA
Easy to install (Plug-and-Play)
56000bps data transfer (V.90)
14400bps and 9600bps fax send and receive
Fax group 3 class 1
Compatible with video-conferencing (H.324)
Telephone cable included
Hardware modem:
 Built-in processor
 Trouble-free installation
Fax/data/voice software included:
 Multi language
 Fax send and receive
 Voice answering machine
 Handsfree telephone calls
 Drivers for Windows 95, 98, ME, NT4 and 2000
-----------------------

I used debian/potato pcmcia package (not the kernel drivers) to
configure PCMCIA. It looks, like everything works - when I insert the
card, I hear double beep, the serial_cs gets loaded and a link
/dev/modem to /dev/ttyS18 created (exactly as it is written in the
docs!).

Problems start when I try to dial a number. I use minicom for this (not
trying to configure PPP, just to dial ANYTHING!). So, the modem replies
to AT commands (at least minicom shows "OK" when I type AT<Enter> in the
term window), but

1. In the status line of the minicom I see "OFFLINE"
2. I cannot dial any number

The problem is also  that I do not here any tone (phone-tone, I mean) -
but this seems to be "a feature" - I do not here it under Windows
either, although modem works and dials without any troubles.

I'm completely lost, because I do not know where to look for the answer
- PCMCIA seems to be OK, but modem does not work. Any hints or
suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Roman