How can my PCTEL win-modem work

Hello, everyone.
I use a dell inspiron 4100 laptop. The modem is PCTEL 2304WT. I tried
the pctel-0.9.1 and 0.8.6 drivers from
http://www.medres.ch/~jstifter/pctel/ .
after configure --with-hal=i810 (my laptop have a 830MP mobo), and make
install is smooth. After I run "depmod -a", "insmod pctel" gives neither
error nor warning. But "insmod ptserial" give me the message that the
modem can not be initialized, perhaps due to wrong io or irq.
What's wrong? Is there any body uses dell inspiron 4100 with PCTEL
2304WT? Is it possible to use this modem in Linux?