Re: Debian laptop vendors

/ Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> was heard to say:
| 14"+ screen, integrated 802.11b (no more snapped off cards), long
| battery, and light (of course).  Any favorites out there?  I'm inclined
| toward IBM, but I'm also trying to stay a few hundred below $2k, if
| possible.

I went with the Toshiba Tecra 8200, mostly because I had been happy
with an 8100 before and I really wanted the 1400x1050 resolution (no
more overlapping windows).

On the plus side, I've been very happy with it and it's probably
fairly cheap now since the 9000 line has been released.

On the minus side, the 1400x1050 resolution is not well supported in
XFree (yet), the IR stuff isn't supported (yet?), and I'm having a
little trouble getting a CardBus firewire card to work with 2.4.18
(but I think that may have more to do with the experimental nature of
the firewire stuff than my particular laptop. At least mostly.) Oh,
and it's got a crappy winmodem, of course.

Hmm. I think that's still a positive review :-)

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Fast. Cheap. Well. Pick two.