X and IBM Thinkpad 365XD

Hello. I installed Debian in my friend's Thinkpad 365XD but I'm having all
kind of weird problems with X. Anyone can help?

First, I can't run 800x600; if I try, the screen just go black.

Running 640x480 with X 3:
- The screen is too big, and I can't fix it with xvidtune
- 16-bit mode runs weird, I must use 8-bit
- If I disable CyberStretch, I can run 16-bit OK, but (of course) the
  screen becomes too small.

Running 640x480 with X 4.2:
- The screen is of the right size
- 8-bit mode runs weird, must use 16-bit
- The colors are mismatched and dithered
- "CyberStretch = false" doesn't work
- The console becomes all garbled up when we come back.

I tried many combinations of NoAccel, CyberShadow etc. and nothing.

I remember from somewhere that X will not run well in this notebook if you don't
upgrade the BIOS. The problem is, we don't have a floppy drive, and this
thing won't boot in cdrom. Any ideas? For the honor of Debian, I shall
get XFree86 working for my friend :^)
--
	Leonardo Boiko
	"Doko ni datte, hito wa tsunagatte iru."