Re: speedstep tool, ITP?

Hi,

> today at FreshMeat the `speedstep' 0.2 utility was announnced
> http://www.goof.com/pcg/marc/speedstep.html
> it claims to switch the speedstep modes from inside Linux.

How long have I been waiting for that ... =)

> I tried it but it didn't work for my COMPAQ E500. I have
> reported the errors to the author. Maybe you are
> interested to give it a try or even help the author,

Tried it on my Dell Inspiron 8100 with BIOS A11.

root@caladan:/usr/src/speedstep-0.2# ./speedstep
EDI != 02020005,
please report this to <speedstep@plan9.de>, together with /proc/cpuinfo
(suppress this notice with -q)

However, a short test doing a timed "make bzImage" revealed the following
compile times:

battery optimized mode 	(800Mhz)	3 min 45 sec
performance mode 	(1200 Mhz)	2 min 41 sec

A single compile run was pre-issued to eliminate disk access effects and no
other load allowed during compiling.

It seems to work, but I get some strange side effects - the mouse does not
work correctly under XFree anymore; since nothing else was modified on the
system and it's a first-time effect after fiddling with speedstep, this seems
to be related.

Regards,
  Frank
 Frank Trenkamp                            ftrenkam at uos.de
 PGP fprt: 5A0C 4AE9 74A5 51F0 2D34  E7DC 67FF 32C4 0357 5653