Re: TEAC CD-RW CD-W216E

On Fri, 10 May 2002, Kevin C. Smith wrote:
> On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 03:14:13PM +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
>> On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 10:34:16PM -0500, Kevin C. Smith wrote:
>> > Still working on the new Dell Inspiron 8200. I have the cdrw
>> > 16x10x24, but have not been able to get it to write any faster the
>> > 4x.
>> >
>> > $ dmesg
>> > hdb: TEAC CD-RW CD-W216E

[...]

> If I set the speek to 8x it writes at 4x.

cdrecord spits out a banner stating that it's running at 4x, or you
timed the thing and despite trying to write at 8x it's only managing 4x
in real time?

Alternately, is it writing the data nice and fast but taking forever
fixating the disk or whatever -- is there a specific part of the process
that's taking so long?

> If I set the speed to 12x (the medias max) it fails all together.

...with the error message?

> The same media is written to on my debian desktop at 8x with no
> trouble. 8x is the max for the desktop's burner.

*nod*  I suspect that what you are discovering is that your laptop
device doesn't have the stability that desktop hardware has and, as a
result, you are seeing problems getting data to disk in time.

        Daniel

--
Words--so innocent and powerful as they are standing in a dictionary, how
potent for good and evil they become, in the hands of one who knows how to