Re: journaling file system on thinkpad?

On Thursday 09 May 2002 4:32 pm, Michael Hothorn wrote:

> Has anyone a thinkpad (or any other laptop) running a journaling
> filesystem (reiserfs, xfs, ext3)? Is it safe (in the kernel
> config it's still mentioned as EXPERIMENTAL) and running stable?

I'm not on a laptop but I've been running ext3 very successfully for about 7
months. It's based on the tried-and-tested ext2 so it's pretty robust. ext3
is also forwards and backawards compatible with ext2, so if there are any
problems you can mount an ext3 partition as ext2.

> And: How to switch from ext2 to journaling? I have recent mondo/mindi

just run:

tune2fs -j /dev/hdaN

where N is the partition number

Load /etc/fstab into a text editor, and change the 'ext2' to read 'ext3'.

Reboot, check it's now mounted as ext3, and you're done :)

> backups of the machine.

The switch to ext3 is non-destructive.

Of course you should be doing backups daily anyway ;) (hrm, that's rich from
somebody who hasn't backed up for ages :().

> But what about booting from it with LILO?

As long as ext3 is compiled into the kernel, you don't need to do any more. If
ext3 is compiled as a module you may need to mess around with initrd stuff. I
compile ext3 into the kernel because it's easier, IMHO :)

> PS This is a laptop-question; I would like to hear something about
> performance on IDE disks as well.

Hear what exactly? ;)

--
Cheers, Chris Howells -- chris@chrishowells.co.uk, howells@kde.org