journaling file system on thinkpad?

Hi,

I'm running woody with kernel 2.4.18 on an IBM i1200 Thinkpad. I am using
ext2 filesystem for all partitions (but swap:-). It happend more than
once, that I left the machine on battery and left the office for more
than 3h ....

Has anyone a thinkpad (or any other laptop) running a journaling
filesystem (reiserfs, xfs, ext3)? Is it safe (in the kernel
config it's still mentioned as EXPERIMENTAL) and running stable?

And: How to switch from ext2 to journaling? I have recent mondo/mindi
backups of the machine. But what about booting from it with LILO?

bye
micha

PS This is a laptop-question; I would like to hear something about
performance on IDE disks as well.

   Linux is user friendly, it's just a bit picky about it's friends....

   Michael Hothorn
   University of Heidelberg
   http://www.hothorn.de/michael/