RE: Installing Debian Linux on my Laptop

Hello Allan,

I cannot profess to be a debian expert. I too have
installed linux on many machines, laptops and pcs.
But, I am just finishing up an install on an IBM
760XL. All I have left is to configure X.

I can tell you what I found out.

Follow the basic network install info found on the debian site
or any of the great debian docs and mans.

First, my network card needed the latest version of
pcmcia-cs. This is because my chipset required the
axnet-cs module.
I chose to isntall Woody because I could get a compact
install with this module from debian.

I started with the Woody (testing) compact (4 disk) install.
The base install went quite well. My pcmcia card was
successfully id'ed and configured, and I got access to the
web.
I found that I didn't have to configure any modules over the
automatic ones provided by the base install.

Then, when reboot occured, I entered the next phase. This
automatically started the 'base-config' app that completes
the installation. It proceeded through the basic time,
password and user setup and then proceeded back to the
time setup.
Infinate loop.
There is a problem in the Woody base-config. So I did this.
1 - switched terminals (alt-F2) while still running base-config
on primary (alt-F1) terminal, and logged in as root and removed
'base-config' (>dpkg -r base-config).
2 - downloaded base-config_1.33.18_all.deb from web onto floppy
on another machine, created a /root/debs dir and coppied the
new base-config to this dir
3 - installed the new base-config (dpkg -i base-config_1.33.18_all.deb)
4 - rebooted the computer.
5 - at this point the new base-config starts running and I found
that I could continue the configuration.
6 - finally got to the package selection, chose what I wanted
and, Wammo!, apt was getting all the packages from 'stable'.
This caused all kinds of compatability problems.
7 - again, went to another terminal , logged in as root,
and modified the /etc/apt/sources.list file to include the
debian ... testing packages.
deb ftp://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian testing main contrib

8 - from this terminal, I ran apt-get upgrade, and this caused
the apt-get to update the database from both the stable and
testing sights.

9 - after the update, I switched back to the main terminal (alt-F1)
and continued with the installation. Base-config now had all of the
packages needed from Woody to complete the install.

I think this is fairly accurate, although this took about 4 days
to get through for me.

As I said, I am now starting the X Configuration. Just have to find
out the parameters of the display and mouse.

Good luck

Mark