Re: Installing Debian Linux on my Laptop

On Wednesday 08 May 2002 23:39 pm, Justin News wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to install linux on my IBM Thinkpad 560E. Unfortunately, i
> don't have a CD ROM and I'd appreciate any help someone can offer.
> I've installed linux before using CD ROMS and had no problems... but
> i'm lost as to how to install linux without CDs. I also have a
> network card in my laptop so is there a way to do a network
> installation? i've done some searching on the web but the
> instructions that i've found are rather vague.

I installed Debian on a Thinkpad 240 without a CD drive.  The drive was
divided into two partitions.  I downloaded the necessary files for a
minimal Debian installation and stored them on the second partition.
When I was sure I had everything I needed to install the base system,
including pcmcia drivers for my network card, I made a boot floppy and
installed  a minimal Debian system in the first partition.   When I
could boot into Debian I reformated the second partition.  I made a
small swap partition and the rest ext2.  I moved /usr there, then
installed more packages via ftp/http til I had the system I wanted.  It
took a little planning, but it worked.

There are some helpful files on the Debian website that describe what
is needed for a minimal install.  I believe there is a file that
describes in detail how to do what I did.  Good luck.

--
Bud Rogers  <budr@sirinet.net>   http://www.sirinet.net/~budr
All things in moderation.  And not too much moderation either.