Re: acpi package

On Sat, 4 May 2002, Daniel Pittman wrote:

> Sure. What it lets you do, today, is display the information on
> remaining battery life, system temperature and AC power connection in a
> convenient, standard way without needing to parse the content of the
> ACPI /proc interface yourself.
That's right. For the moment, the only thing I'm using it for, apart from
that it actually switches the computer off when I shutdown, I can check
the status of the battery by reading /proc/acpi/battery/status, but not
much more, and the battery has in fact a very short life.

> Yes. With acpid you can make it respond to events. I just hacked the
> script supplied to call 'poweroff' when I hit the power button so my
> machine turns off under ACPI.

That's interesting. What I'm wondering is: do you need just the few things
that the patched kernel knows about acpi to do that?

> APM and ACPI both require BIOS support. If your system works with APM,
> compiling that and not ACPI is a good idea at the moment. If you /don't/
> have APM, which it sounds like, you are stuck, I fear.

I think that's correct.

> The various Debian packages allow you to have the system react
> automatically to power "events" such as low battery and the like. You
> don't need them to have either ACPI or APM function.

Ok, I imagined that. The thing is my event file is empty, does it
matter?Shoudn't it say something about the status of the system in order
to allow all these other packages to work?
Well, I guess I have to try, but I fear that I'll have to do what someone
else told me. He recompiled the 2.4.18 kernel with the acpi patch and then
he got the monitor, while he wasn't getting it with the 2.4.17
kernel. Well, it's not that important in fact, as the battery lasts for so
little anyway.
Cheers
	Ale