Re: Boot Loader

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Derek Broughton wrote:

> Cyn wrote:
> > 3) I don't see what a boot loader has to do with hibernation - resuming
> > from hibernation isn't booting, it's resuming the computer to the state it
> > was in before suspend.
>
> It's still booting.  When you hibernate, the system powers off.  So then you
> have to be able to boot from that state into either Linux or Windows - and
> if windows, resume from hibernate.

Uh, no - that doesn't sound like hibernation - hibernation is a nearly-off
state - the bios dumps the memory+video -> disk, and then when you hit the
power button (or whatever) it revives the hardware and zaps the data file
back into memory+video. When I wake-from-hibernation, booting does not
occur - the bootloader never gets a look in.

There are other _similar_ solutions, that involve a frobbed kernel that
knows how to cheat and reinitialise itself from a special swsupend file:
but I don't think those are technically hibernation.

--
If voting could change things, it would be illegal.