Re: Boot Loader

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 12:41:15PM +0200, R.Stepanyan wrote:

> 1) is menu driven (don't ask why) - so, not LiLo

from the manpage for lilo.conf:

Alternately, if the boot-menu.b boot loader is installed, a menu of
boot options will be presented for your selection.  The title of this
menu is overridden with the menu title specification  in this
configuration file.

menu-title=<title-string>
              Specifies  the title line (up to 37 characters) for
              the boot menu.  This  title  replaces  the  default
              "LILO  Boot  Menu"  title string. If boot-menu.b is
              not installed as  the  boot  loader  (see  install=
              option), then this line has no effect.

menu-scheme=<color-scheme>
              The  default  color  scheme of the boot menu may be
              overridden on VGA displays using this option.  (The
              color  scheme  of MDA displays is fixed.)  The general
	      color-scheme string is of the form:

              where each entry is two characters which specify  a
              foreground  color  and a background color. Only the
              first entry is required. The default  highlight  is
              the reverse of the text color; and the default bor
	      der and title colors are the  text  color.   Colors
              are  specified  using  the characters kbgcrmyw, for
              blacK, Blue, Green, Cyan, Red, Magenta, Yellow, and
              White: upper case for intense (fg only), lower case
              for dim.  Legal color-scheme strings would be

                  menu-scheme=Wm     intense white on magenta
                  menu-scheme=wr:bw:wr:Yr    the LILO default
                  menu-scheme=Yk:kw    bright yellow on black

	      If boot-menu.b is not installed as the boot loader,
              then this line has no effect.

> 2) will work with Win98 installed on hda1 and Linux on hda3 (LiLo is on
> hda3 to boot linux) - I know, win98 writes smth to the boot sector from
> time to time. So, I do not want to reinstall the boot loader each time I
> make an update in Win98.

I have win98 on hda1 and linux on hda7, using lilo.  I don't know when
win98 writes to the mbr, unless it does it at boot.  It has no reason
to do it anytime other than at install.

> 3) supports boot after hybernation in Win

I don't understand this requirement.  If I hibernate my windows
session, and then bring it back up, I come back up in windows.  Then I
reboot that windows session, and see the lilo menu screen.  Is that
what you meant?

Since this is a debian list, I suggest you look at bug 13841.
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=131841&repeatmerged=yes
I am booting with the line  "message = /boot/penguins.boot" in my
lilo.conf right now, and like it a lot.  Will probably switch back to
xray-blue.boot, though.  I can't wait to show proprietary software
people that boot loader.

rob