Re: pcmcia taints kernel

> > > everything runs fine lateron, but on bootup I get the error message:
> >
> > Why are you trying to load i82092?  afaik that isn't a valid choice.,
> >
> > I put PCIC = "yenta_socket" in mine.  It works :-) but it has no grounding
> > in any kind of documentation I've ever found!
>
> Yes you are right, it was the yenta_socket module which put my pcmcia to
> work, i82092 had nothing to do with is and is not needed.
> I loaded it in /etc/modules, you via /etc/default/pcmcia. I have switched to
> your method and lsmod shows neither i82365 nor tcic, which is strange.
>
> Maybe someone can enlighten us what a yenta_socket is and why the i82365
> module doesnt work anymore even though thats the one needed on other
> distos/installs.

In the "old way" there are many compatible chipsets which work (to some or
another value of "work") with the i82365 module to drive their bus-layer.

In the new way, old style intels are i82365 but the newer true intels (and
some being compatible to it, instead of the old one) are handled by yenta.
I dunno why it's called yenta, only that is what Linus called it when he
decided it needed to be split off.  (maybe it talks too much :D)

Anyways the detect mechanism that spots whether you need yenta or something
else is not too bright, plus, if you need the yenta but your modules.conf
say load the old-style one you could get bad behavior, if it even loads.
Hope that makes sense.

I've got a Ricoh bridge myself, I've been ok so far but have to pay attention
to the warning notes that go by in the kernel changelogs occasionally.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...