Re: how to see other partition?

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Dutch wrote:
> I have winxp on hda1, linux on hda2 and swap on hda3.
>
> Lilo, in MBR...
>
> How do I go about making the windows partiton visible/usable from
> Linux (debian)?
>
> Is it making other file systems in the kernel or...?

It depends somewhat on what file system type WinXP is using in hda1.  From a
Linux perspective, VFAT is safer than NTFS, especially for read-write.  If
you don't already know the type, use cfdisk to check it out.

Assuming that your kernel supports the file system type, then do:

   mount -t <type> -o ro /dev/hda1 /mnt

where "<type>" is probably either "vfat" or "ntfs".

If that seems to work, you can mount it read-write by dropping the "-o ro"
for vfat, but I don't know if it's advisable to do so for ntfs:

   umount /dev/hda1
   mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt

If you want to get at it from other IDs than root, you might also have to use
the "uid=" & "gid=" mount options, such as:

   mount -t vfat -o ro,uid=1000,gid=1000 /dev/hda1 /mnt

You might also want to create a more descriptive mount point, such as:

   mkdir /WinXP
   mount -t vfat -o ro,uid=1000,gid=1000 /dev/hda1 /WinXP

To unmount it, do:

   umount /dev/hda1

To look at the mounted file systems, just do:

   mount

To make it automatic, translate the mount command into an entry in
/etc/fstab.

> What man page would explain this?

mount(8)
fstab(5)