Re: Debian installation problems

"Nick" <nickmessenger@madasafish.com> writes:

> I think the problem lies where I had to choose which components to install.
> I tried to install all the Xfree components but still after login I cannot
> get XWindows to launch. This is the error I get when I type STARTX.
>
> X: cannot stat /etc/X11/X (No such file or directory), aborting.
> giving up.
> xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
> xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

/etc/X11/X is supposed to be a symlink to your Xserver binary.  In my
case it points to /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 (running woody).  Just create
the symlink yourself and give it another shot.

BTW, if you have installed one of the potato xserver-* packages, you
probably have to link to /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86_* (from memory).

HTH,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            Epson Kowa Corporation, CID
LPIC-2               -- I hack, therefore I am --                 BOFH