Re: yikes! locked out of own system!

thanks mike for your help! however, seems things are a bit royally screwed..
i tried this method and i'm taken to a debian log-in. when i enter the
password, i get logged in ok, but then i receive the error messages:

cannot execute /bin/bash: no such file or directory

then i'm returned to the prompt. the only way i can get out of this cycle is
by booting into BIOS, but apparently the laptop BIOS won't allow me to boot
from CD, even when specified with a store-bought debian boot CD - i just
load straight back into linux, back to this login problem. (this is a
toshiba tecra 8000 - i orginally installed from a DOS prompt). is there a
way out of this loop? it seems that, a) i have screwed up my debian system
very badly, b) my BIOS won't allow me to boot from CD, c) i can't get past
any prompts to make changes to the system. is there a solution to this? or
do i know have an unusable computer?

thanks for the help,
nick