ignore system APM suspend on AC power

   Date: 28 Mar 2002 17:57:17 +0100
   From: Jaume Guasch <jaume.guasch@psi.ch>

   I would like my laptop to ignore system APM suspend and standby requests
   from BIOS calls when on AC power.

   The relevant (Woody default) part of /etc/apm/apmd_proxy reads:

   ==========
   SUSPEND_ON_AC=false
   [ -r /etc/apm/apmd_proxy.conf ] && . /etc/apm/apmd_proxy.conf

   if [ "${SUSPEND_ON_AC}" = "false" -a "${2}" = "system" ] \
	   && on_ac_power >/dev/null; then
       # Reject system suspends and standbys if we are on AC power
       exit 1  # Reject (NOTE kernel support must be enabled)
   fi
   ==========

   and /etc/apm/apmd_proxy.conf has correctly set:

   ==========
   SUSPEND_ON_AC=false
   ==========

   However, the laptop will enter standby mode even on AC power.

   What makes me wonder, is the note "Reject (NOTE kernel support must be
   enabled)". The APM related configuration of my kernel is

This note just means that you must have APM support compiled into the
kernel and turned on.  From what you write that appears to be true.

You'll need to debug this a little to find out what is really
happening.  That conditional test has three separate components;
failure of any one of the three components will cause the suspend to
continue.

So, for example, you could add lines like this just prior to the
decision in "/etc/apm/apmd_proxy":

    echo "ARGS = ${1},${2}" >> /tmp/apmd-trace
    echo "SUSPEND_ON_AC = ${SUSPEND_ON_AC}" >> /tmp/apmd-trace
    if on_ac_power > /dev/null; then
	V=true
    else
	V=false
    fi
    echo "on_ac_power = ${V}" >> /tmp/apmd-trace

Then do the operations and see what shows up in the output file.