Re: PCMCIA card interface not holding its IP

ok, but i stand with derek. dhclient/dhcp-client has never worked for
me. and i have tried it. i'm not sure why it doesn't work, but i don't
care enough to really look into it. i used to use dhcpcd (way back when
i ran mandrake/redhat), but that's not in the tree any more so i'm going
to continue to use pump, because it works. i'll worry about RFC
compliance if dhclient ever decides to lease an IP for me.

On Sun, 2002-03-24 at 23:38, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > But if I used dhcp-client or dhclient I
> > didn't get even that far, so I'm not terribly interested in trying them
> > again unless someone cares to explain why pump is a bad idea. (Sorry
> > Sean, but saying "pump is pure crap", with or without a smiley face is
> > insulting, patronizing, and potentially actionable). Either leave out
> > the sermons, or tell us WHY it's crap.
>
> Without going into long winded technical issues the summary is:
>
> * it does not follow the RFC in a few important ways
> * when Debian tried to use it as the default dhcp client many of our users
> reported failures getting leases, especially users of red/round robin cable
> service (I forget the exact name).
>
> And for fun:
>
> * it was written by the enemy (Red Hat)
>

> --