Re: Problems with Dell 510C and modprobe

From: Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net>
Problem with ACPI is that there doesn't seem to be very good support for
it in Linux. I wouldn't know - ever since I read a posting by Alan Cox
saying that ACPI is fundementally sick, I've just steered clear of it.
Lately, though, I've read other postings saying ACPI is one of the areas
where Linux is improving.

I'd call it "fundamentally still in development". I've been playing with it for a month and it's come a long way in just that time. It could actually be quite useful if Dell provided a functional ACPI bios. Apparently Microsoft overrides it, so it works in Windows, but the tools for doing that in Linux aren't ready for prime time, yet.

Funny, whenever something doesn't work in Linux, it's declared
fundamentally sick - and some time later no one seems to notice, but the
feature just creeps in there after all...

LOL.  You're right on the money.
--
derek