Re: del 4100

On Wednesday, 20. March 2002 21:46, Dutch wrote:
> 2 problems here.
>
> 1. I have a dell inspiron 4100.  It has the ATI Radeon card in it and I
>    really want to install debian on itAND have X up and running.
>
> So far, the only distro that worked at all, and "worked out of the
> box" too, was Red Hat 7.2. But I dont want red hat right now.
>
> When running xf86config, eventually you come to a list of supported video
> cards. During Red Hat, there was ATI Radeon.  Since then I even tried
> Slackware, AND grabbed the latest kernel and XFREE files from xfree86.org
> To my surprise, ATI Radeon was not listed. Where doe the list come from?

it's not too hard. I think the card can be a ATI Mach 64??? or otherwise a
SVGA card (if you use the V3 Version of XFree86)???

> -Kernel Choices?
> -XFreesetup/version (I had the latest and it is supposed to be supported)
> -some file I need to edit/modity before runniong xf86config?
>
> I know - its a newbieuish question, I have tried looking it up but Im
> getting lost.
>

> 2. I really want woody on my laptop. I got the netinstall CD and it seemed
> to work ok. I also have window xp on /dev/hda1, LINUX and a swap partition
> on the next 2. AFter I set up debian, It never booted into windows or
> offered the choice. I edited lilo.conf then ran /sbin/lilo to add:
>
> other=/dev/hda1
> 	label=dos
>
> but it never came up.

there is a line commented called "prompt". Uncomment this line and you will
see linux and windows. Otherwise you can press the tab-button several times
at bootup, so you will see the lilo-prompt where you can type "dos" to run XP.

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> in the mean time I said screw it, removed lilo, apt-get grub and boy did I
> mess things up.  Now all I get is the prompt GRUB>
>
> If I run fdisk froma dos boot, I can see
> hda1 win
> hda2 linux ext2
> hda3 linux swap
>
> what a mess! getting ready to wipe it all!
>

> /* Dutch
>  Running Linux */

Henning