Re: Inspiron 8000 IrDA problem

On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 18:18, Frank Trenkamp wrote:
[on module loading order]
> However, with kernel 2.4.18 this problem just disappeared. A good soul named
> Michal Ceresna (his credits here) sent me a patch as feedback to an
> installation report I published via www.linux-on-laptop.net:
>
> That's it:
[...]
> !         dir |= 0x10; /* assuming pci bus master? */
[...]
> As you can see, the changes are minimal. With the stock 2.4.18 kernel this
> patch was already integrated; now it does not matter in which order the irda
> modules or maestro3 have been loaded. It just works..

Indeed this is correct, I have just verified that the order of module
before irtty is just fine with this kernel version.

In previous trials I recall that a cold boot was required to get irda
and maestro3 working - if you just rebooted normally you would lose irda
regardless of module loading order. This probably fixes that as well.

What confused me was that I tried to modprobe smc-ircc, and then I
stopped trying to get FIR working, and I did what you should never do: I
changed two things at once. I started loading irtty instead of smc-ircc,
but at the same time I moved it in /etc/modules to be loaded before
maestro3. So I tricked myself into believing that the last change was
the fix... :P

Thanks for the explanation Frank!

Cheers,
fabbe