Re: Inspiron 8000 IrDA problem

On 20 Mar 2002 12:34:28 +0200, Fabian Fagerholm writes:
>I have a Dell Inspiron 8000 and a slight problem with irda. The i8k
>seems to have an SMC irda chip, and thus the smc-ircc module is the one
>to be used.

I'm writing this on an 8100. `lsmod|grep ir`:
  irtty                   7340   2 (autoclean)
  irda                  129241   1 (autoclean) [irtty]

>However, for some reason I can't get the module to load correctly on the
>first attempt. By doing two successive modprobes, the module is loaded.

On the 8100 the problem is that the maestro3-module mustn't be loaded
 when modprobe'ing irda-stuff. It even mustn't habe been loaded since
 last boot. If you load the irda-stuff prior to maestro3, there's no
 problem at all.

>I suspect this might have something to do with my serial port settings,
>but I haven't managed to figure out what to put in /etc/serial.conf to
>work this out. There's a line for /dev/ttyS3 that has the same io
>address and irq as the smc chip, but nothing I've done seems to change
>this behaviour.

I don't have any entry in serial.conf other than ttyS0.

cheers,
&rw
--
/ Ing. Robert Waldner | Security Engineer |  CoreTec IT-Security  \
\   <rw@coretec.at>   | T +43 1 503 72 73 | F +43 1 503 72 73 x99 /