Abiword hangs. Have somebody else experienced this?

The abiword hangs after I press space and the aspell spellchecker is
invoked. However this only happens on my laptop. On my dekstop it works.
They have the same debian Testing with some unstable package installed.

There are a bugreports about this in the bug system, but I'm wondering
if anybody might have found a workaround?

Thanks in advance for any hints.

--
Preben Randhol         «For me, Ada95 puts back the joy in programming.»